Want to get ahead in your career? If so, you might want to consider applying for the Louise McKinney Scholarship.
Whether you’re a student currently enrolled or if you’re looking for an opportunity, this blog post is full of valuable information on what it takes to be admitted into the program.
Louise McKinney Scholarship
The Louise McKinney Scholarship is a scholarship program that provides financial assistance to students who have demonstrated academic achievement, community service, and creative expression. The scholarship was created in memory of Louise McKinney, an advocate for women’s rights and environmental justice.
To be eligible for the Louise McKinney Scholarship, applicants must be college students who are Canadian citizens or permanent residents. They must also demonstrate significant achievement in academics, community service, or creative expression. The scholarship is worth up to $2,500 per year.
The Louise McKinney Scholarship is open to students of all majors and colleges across Canada. If you are interested in applying for the scholarship, you can find more information in this article.
Louise McKinney Scholarship Summary
- Type of award: Scholarship
- Sponsor: Government of Alberta
- Level of study: Undergraduate
- Faculty; Any faculty
- Course; Course of your choice
- Amount awarded: $2,500
- Number of awards: 350 selected candidates
Who funds the Louise McKinney Scholarship?
The Louise McKinney Scholarship through Alberta Advanced Education, in conjunction with Alberta Student Aid and administered by the University of Alberta, is funded by the Government of Alberta.
The scholarship is awarded to students of profound academic excellence. This encourages them to continue with good academic performance both in their undergraduate programs and also in their professional programs of study.
Louise McKinney Scholarship Coverage
The Louise McKinney Scholarship offers selected candidates a sum of $2,500 to the selected candidates annually to continue their post-graduate studies in any course of their choice.
Eligibility Requirements for the Louise McKinney Scholarship
- Before applying for the Louise McKinney Scholarship, ensure you meet up with all the eligibility requirements listed below. To be eligible for the Louise McKinney Scholarship,
- Candidates must be either a citizen of Canada, have a permanent resident in Canada, or be a protected person. Students with visas are not eligible for this award.
- Candidates must be a resident of Alberta. To be considered a resident in Alberta, you must pass one of the listed conditions:
- At least one of your parents or legal guardian has been a resident in Canada for a minimum of 12 consecutive months before you start your post-secondary studies in Alberta.
- Alberta is the last place the applicant has stayed for 12 consecutive months before you start your post-secondary studies.
- The applicant’s partner or spouse has been a permanent resident for at least 12 months before they start attending post-secondary studies.
- Candidates must be enrolled in a full-time undergraduate or professional program at a post-secondary Alberta institution that is publicly funded. If you plan on being enrolled in a full-time post-secondary Alberta institution in your second or subsequent year of study, you are also eligible once you meet with other listed criteria.
- Candidates must have excellent academic performance. This will be determined by the post-secondary institution you attend in Alberta. Students currently in Lethbridge university or another university partnering with Lethbridge will get nominated by the institution they are currently studying.
- Students of other institutions will have to submit a transcript of their previous academic year record for grades.
- You must have completed at least 24 credit hours in the previous semester and have a minimum grade of 3.5 GPA to be considered.
Students who are not eligible for the Louise McKinney Scholarship
- Who have been selected to receive the Jason Lang Scholarship within the same academic year.
- Who is studying in a post-graduate degree program
- Applicants who are upgrading or are an apprentice.
How to apply for the Louise McKinney Scholarship
In order to stand a chance at being selected, you need to follow due process when applying. However, the application process is easy and straightforward process. Just follow the steps below;
- Ensure you meet all the eligibility requirements so as not to be disqualified.
- Visit your school and check if the institution permits students there to participate in Louise McKinney Scholarship (You could check your school’s student awards office).
- If your school is permitted, you will be notified and also given the scholarship form.
- Fill out the application form accurately.
- Once you are done, submit it back to the post-secondary institution’s student awards office.
Note: Following the steps listed above when applying for the Louise McKinney Scholarship will help you stand a chance of being selected for the Louise McKinney Scholarship.
To know more about the Louise McKinney Scholarship, visit their official website HERE.
Louise McKinney Scholarship Selection process
Once you’ve passed the eligibility criteria and you’ve successfully applied for the scholarship, this is how candidates are selected.
Candidates are selected based on their best and outstanding academic performance. They must also demonstrate significant achievement in academics, community service, or creative expression. There are limited number of students who will receive the scholarship award from various schools in Alberta.
Tips for Getting the Louise McKinney Scholarship
If you’re interested in applying for the Louise McKinney Scholarship, there are a few things you need to know.
- First, you’ll need to visit the scholarship website and sign up for their mailing list. This way, you’ll be notified of any new scholarship opportunities that become available.
- Second, you’ll need to create a portfolio of your academic work and extracurricular activities. This will show the scholarship committee how active and involved you are in your community and school.
- Thirdly, make sure to tell your story! Why do you deserve this scholarship? What makes you unique? Painting a picture of yourself is key to success when applying for scholarships.
- You should also provide all the required documents, even those listed as optional. This is because that optional document may be what you use to have the edge over other applicants who feel it’s not necessary to include it.
- Finally, ensure you go over all required documents to avoid any error or omission while submitting your scholarship application. You are to submit an error-free application before the listed deadline of the application.
If you follow these simple tips, applying for the Louise McKinney Scholarship should be a breeze!
Benefits of Winning the Scholarship
There are many benefits to winning the Louise McKinney Scholarship, and here are just a few:
Financial aid opportunities: if you receive scholarships from multiple sources, the Louise McKinney Scholarship may be the biggest scholarship you can receive.
Campus recognition: winning a scholarship from a prestigious organization like the Louise McKinney Scholarship can give you an edge when it comes to getting into your dream school.
Networking opportunities: becoming involved in campus organizations and going to events sponsored by the scholarship recipient network can help you find future jobs or graduate school admissions.
Leadership skills: being able to lead and work together with other students towards a common goal is a valuable skill that will be used throughout your life.
So whether you’re looking for financial stability or an impressive resume boost, the Louise McKinney Scholarship is definitely worth considering.
Deadline of the Louise McKinney Scholarship
Louise McKinney Scholarship application is open every July 15 and ends during Fall, September 15. The award committee is known to extend the deadline most times to January 15 of the following year in order to accommodate applicants who have heard of the news lately.
However, when planning to apply for the Louise McKinney Scholarship, you are advised to submit your application before the initial deadline. You might not be so lucky to get a few extra months of grace when you intend to apply.
What to do if you don’t get selected for Louise McKinney Scholarship
Since there is a limited number of candidates to be awarded and lots of students apply for this award, there are students who wouldn’t be selected. If you happen to be one of them, don’t feel bad there is something for you.
You can try out other scholarship programs listed as “Read Also” or for the Jason Lang scholarship, which is not as competitive as the Louise McKinney Scholarship and is also available to students in Alberta, just like the Louise McKinney Scholarship.
However, if you are so much interested in the Louise McKinney Scholarship, you could apply next year, and this time around, ensure you beat the deadline and provide all the required documents.
Congratulations on your upcoming scholarship application! In this guide, we will walk you through the process of applying for the Louise McKinney Scholarship.
Remember to apply early and submit a well-organized application that showcases your talents and why you deserve the scholarship. Thanks for reading!