This article will explain the Douglas College International Student Scholarship, its eligibility criteria, how to apply, the selection process, and other things you need to know about the scholarship.
About Douglas College
Douglas College is the largest public degree-granting college institution situated in British Columbia, Canada. Douglas College offers bachelor’s degrees and post-degrees across 500 programs in arts, science, creative arts, business, human services, and health care. It has a reasonable class size, and each class is less than 35 students.
The college boasts 8,500 continuing education students and 4,210 international students across several programs.
Douglas College is an international-friendly college that attracts more than 1000 international students across 60 countries, making it one of the public colleges with the most diverse composition of students.
Why Must You Study at Douglas College
Douglas College is one of the best colleges to attend because it combines both the foundations of a university with employable college skills. At Douglas college, you have access to acquire real-world skills, deep-rooted education, and career success opportunities.
Also, its diverse student body makes it a conducive environment for international students to strive and learn better without discrimination.
Douglas College Entrance Scholarship
Douglas College offers about $100,000 entrance scholarships to academically outstanding international students yearly.
The Entrance scholarships come in two categories at Douglas College for the Fall, Winter, and Summer semesters:
The two categories of the Entrance scholarships include:
- Douglas International Education Regional Entrance Award, which is valued at $1000 to 2000
- Dr. Guangwei Ouyang International Education Entrance Scholarship valued at $2500
Douglas College Entrance Scholarship Coverage
The Douglas College Entrance Scholarship is a partial scholarship that covers a part of your tuition fee. It does not cover accommodation, medical or library fees.
It only serves as assistance to international students.
The Douglas International Education Regional Entrance Award
This scholarship doesn’t require a separate application. You will be assessed automatically upon application to Douglas College. You will be notified if you have been awarded the scholarship when the admission letter of offer is sent to you.
This scholarship is available for students from selected countries or regions of the world that are: Latin America, Europe, Africa, Middle East, Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, and CIS countries (Russia, Tajikistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Turkmenistan, and Ukraine).
This scholarship award is valued at $1000 to $2000.
- You must apply to Douglas College and be accepted.
- You must have an above-average GPA of B equivalent or higher.
- High English Language proficiency test score (IELTS should be a minimum of 7.0).
Dr. Guangwei Ouyang International Education Entrance Scholarship:
Unlike the Douglas International Education Regional Entrance Award, where no separate application is needed, the Dr. Guangwei Ouyang International Education Entrance Scholarship requires a separate application.
As an applicant for the Dr. Guangwei Ouyang International Education Entrance Scholarship, you must fill and complete the entrance scholarship form (PDF) and email all your supporting documents to Douglas International.
However, to be considered for the scholarship, you must have applied for the Doulas education and have been given admission.
You May also want to check out:
- This scholarship is open to students from any country in the world.
- You must exhibit previous outstanding academic performance
- You must have demonstrated social or leadership commitment in the community, school, or personal development.
Douglas International Education Entrance Scholarship Deadlines.
The Douglas International Education Scholarship deadline is as follows: Please note that applications should be completed and submitted before these deadlines.
Semester & Scholarship Deadline
Summer (May) – January 31
Fall (September) – May 31
Winter (January) – September 30
Additional scholarship programs offered by Douglas College for international students are as follows:
Continuing Student Awards and Scholarships
Douglas College offers continuing student awards and scholarships for continuing students who have demonstrated outstanding performance in their previous academic year at the Douglas College.
Douglas College International Returning Student Scholarship
In 1995, Douglas College created the International Education Returning Student Scholarship, which was designed to recognize returning international students in Douglas College who have shown excellent academic performance.
You can receive this award two times maximum during your academic session at Douglas College. To be qualified for the scholarship, you must fulfill the following conditions:
- You must be an international student already enrolled at Douglas College
- You must be enrolled having a minimum of nine (9) credits in any academic program or faculty
- You must have a minimum GPA of 3.72 and have a minimum completed 21 credit hours at the Douglas College. It must be less than 42 credit hours.
You don’t have to apply separately for the scholarship. While returning as an international student, you get assessed using the above criteria and will be notified whether you qualify for the scholarship program or not. This scholarship is only awarded once a semester to international students.
Guangwei Ouyang, the former VP of International Education & Strategic Partnerships, established the Athletic scholarship program in 2017 to support the admission of international athletes as students at Douglas College.
This scholarship aims to cover the difference in tuition fees of International and Domestic students.
Each year, a maximum of five international athletic students are selected for the scholarship and awarded about $7000 for their tuition. The scholarship is split equally between the Fall & Winter semester.
Continuing Student Global Citizenship Dean Award
The Global Citizenship Dean’s Awards is targeted at students in Douglas College that have demonstrated practical global competencies such as global self-awareness, critical thinking, perspective-taking, and intercultural communication skills.
This should be within the context of your studies (course experience and selection) and community social, humanitarian, or leadership engagement.
- You must have a minimum of 3.0 GPA or higher at the time of application
- You must have completed 21 or more credits hours at Douglas College
- You must not have been awarded this scholarship before, as you are meant to get the scholarship at most once during your studies at the Douglas College.
You must complete and submit your application before the deadline. To apply, you must have
- 2 reference letters ( it should be one academic and one non-academic )
- You must have demonstrated exceptional commitment and contribution to the community.
- You must demonstrate a link between your studies and global citizenship. For instance, pursuing global competencies through study and experience such as taking GCC-eligible courses, pursuing intercultural WIL or experiences, or studying abroad.
If you are qualified and selected for the scholarship, you are issued $1500.
- This scholarship is awarded to only one recipient among Douglas College’s six faculties.
- The next batch for this scholarship application will be opened by November 2022
- For more details about this scholarship, click MyGlobal or contact Global Engagement.
Continuing Student International Outbound Mobility Bursary
The Continuing Student International Outbound Mobility is open for international and domestic students to get additional funding to participate in an approved international mobility program. For further information on the international exchange opportunities, scholarships, and awards, please contact Douglas College Global Engagement.